Thursday, August 23, 2012

BlogElul: Trust

This is a hard one for me. I was raised thinking that I couldn't trust anyone. My experiences growing up in the Reform Movement helped me to learn how to begin to trust others. In my synagogue there were countless Rabbis, Cantors, Educators and temple members who were there for me and modeled for me what it meant to build a Jewish community. I went away to the URJ Kutz Camp for the first time after my sophomore year of high school and became connected to a place and group of people that helped me to begin to open myself up to others rather than be afraid to trust. The staff and campers alike became my family. I began to work at that camp after I graduated from high school. When I needed a place to stay well after the summer ended, camp leadership offered me housing and a job. I don't know if I would have gotten through college without the kindness and generosity of those who kept me going through high school and college.
At the beginning of each school year at the Academy "trust" is a word said often on campus. It is my job to gain the trust of new students, parents and staff members. Each year in August there is a moment where it hits me that parents are trusting me to care for their children for the year. That's a giant responsibility!
How does one build trust? How does one learn to rebuild trust after it is broken? May we all find people in our lives this coming year who we can trust, and who trust us in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment